Thursday, January 12, 2006

People are freaks

I forgot to post about the weirdest thing I saw the other day.

On Tuesday, as I was on my way to work, I saw something very odd. I was on the Northern Line on the Underground, which is always hideously busy in the mornings. Something like half a million people use the Northern Line every day, and approximately three quarters of them were squashed into the car I was in.

It was busy, is what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, there's this woman sitting down, and she's got her makeup bag and a little handheld mirror out and she's putting on her makeup.

Now, that's not that unusual. I mean, I think it's weird to be putting on your eyeliner and mascara in a confined space with hundreds of strangers. But maybe that's me.

So, this woman is putting on her makeup, looks at herself critically in her mirror, reaches into her bag and pulls out a pair of tweezers. And starts plucking her eyebrows. In a crowded underground car. With people smooshed together all around her.

Now, makeup is one thing. It's not really polite, but it's not horrific.

But I strongly feel that hair removal should be kept at home.

I don't want to see someone shaving their legs in public. I don't want to see someone getting a wax in public. And I don't want to see a woman shaping her eyebrows when I'm trying to get to work.

Tweezer lady is just plain weird. Weird, I say.

No comments: