Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Moving, illness, "misplaced baggage", Ikea and more!

Well, I have my luggage back. And no, it does not have a tan. Nor is it covered in stickers from all its travels around the world. But it obviously went somewhere, because it took them over a week to get it back to me. That is ridiculous. Did it come over from Canada in a canoe? Because that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of for the delay.

But, oh they'll pay. I will be writing a very sternly worded letter to Air Canada and Lufthansa (who, even though they aren't the ones that got me in this mess, are the ones responsible for my luggage) will be paying me the impressive sum of £42.01 to reimburse me for the toiletries I had to buy.

The "misplaced baggage" situation was even more irritating because I moved 5 days after getting back. So, they didn't have my correct address. And when I called to give them my work address to simplify things, they told me that they'd attempted to deliver the bags earlier and hadn't been able to because I wasn't home. When I pointed out that they were supposed to call me when they were arriving to avoid precisely this situation, I was given the killer response "Uh, yeah. They probably should have done that."

Idiots.

But the new flat is delightful. I'm very very happy with it. I don't have internet access yet (boo hiss!) or good tv (boo hiss!), but I'm working on those things. I am very pleased with the fact that I have a bathroom with a bathtub and a sink and a toilet. It's been two and half years since I've lived in a house with all of those things. And I have a kitchen. With an oven. And shelves that I put up myself. I'm so handy.

The move itself went fine. Thanks in large part to Clare and Jamie. Damn Ikea had oversold the slats to my bed, which is the part that holds the mattress up. A fairly essential part. Bastards. So, I had to go back this weekend. Annoying! But, amusingly, they actually gave me two bedframes when I'd only paid for one. And really, I only need one. I didn't realize I had two until I went to put it together on Sunday. Good times. I plan to sell the second one on eBay. I figure I can get at least £1000 for it. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Because I was off sick most of last week, I actually unpacked most of my stuff and I'm pretty much moved in now. Of course, the being sick wasn't any fun. It was the flu. Only, I don't think British people use the "the" when referring to it. So, since I'm in England, I had flu. That sounds silly. I have an unrelated cold now, which is fun. Keep the illness coming, body! I can take it!

That was me trying to be tough. I'm lying. I can't take it. I'm a wuss.

So, that's the story of the last week.

What's new with you?

No comments: