Tuesday, July 19, 2005

They grow up so fast!

It had to happen sometime. They're adults now - I knew there was a time when they'd want to be out on their own.

I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

I'm leaving on Thursday for a work trip to the States, and then a delightfully pleasurable trip to the newly married Kobrinsky-Kleinzahler's in San Francisco, and then an equally delicious trip to Toronto for the wedding of Mandy & Jason. I'll be gone for just under three weeks.

And you know what that means.

I needed to find a fish-sitter. They're all grown up now, but not so good at the fending for themselves. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to feed themselves if I left them on their own.

Now, if the fishes could talk, they'd be all "God, she's always like that! It's like we're little kids or something! We can take care of ourselves!" And then, if they could walk, they'd storm up the stairs and slam their bedroom door.

Well, it's just too bad for them that they can neither walk nor talk. So that means fish-sitter city, kids.

The always lovely Heather agreed to watch them for me - she works from home so is ideally suited to the rigorous demands of fish keeping. They need to be fed once a day, people. That is hard work.

I dropped the fishes off at Heather's this evening, along with their supplies - food, water purifier stuff, fish net, fish water holder & fish cleaning sponge - and I think they look pretty happy in their new surroundings.



I felt a bit sad to leave them, though. It's funny how you can get so attached to nameless fishes. I'm sure I can trust Heather to take care of them. She's a geek, so she's going to make up a fish-feeding chart to ensure that they don't get overfed. I appreciate that kind of diligence. And she's also aware of the ass kicking that she will receive if anything happens to my fishes.

I'll miss the fishes. I hope they enjoy their holiday.

And I hope they don't pull that sulky teenager crap in front of Heather. It's so embarassing when they get like that!

No comments: