Friday, September 22, 2006

Obsessed

I am not normally the kind of girl who hears that something is the bag/skirt/accessory/makeup of the moment and then has to rush out and buy it. Sure, I like to look all up-to-date and super-cute, but that doesn't mean that I'm shopping every day.

But, when I heard that there was a limited edition Chanel nail polish that was selling out worldwide, and was going for around $100 USD on eBay, I thought to myself "Alice, you must have this nail polish."

The colour? Black satin. Ooh, doesn't it just sound pretty?

I thought that I should give myself a bit of a treat, what with the breaking in and the nightmare of dealing with insurance, so I thought, what the hey, I'll buy it.

I found it on eBay for an amount that I considered reasonable, although far more than I would normally ever spend on nail polish. I bought it, and due to the super speediness of the seller, it was at my house when I got home from work the next day.

I didn't get a chance to put it on until last night, and my nails do look cute. But it's black nail polish though. It's nice nail polish, obviously, as it's Chanel, but it's still just plain black nail polish.

I thought that this was just what all the fuss was about, until today when I did a bit of a Google for "Chanel Black Satin". The third result? This page, which informs me that
the Black Satin Nail Colour released for the U.S. is a limited edition of Black Satin Exclusively in the USA. It was sold at Saks, Bloomingdales, NM, Nordstrom, etc. It is different than the euro version. The European version is plain black. The U.S. limited edition has a small amount of platinum shimmer, just enough to give it the look of satin, as oppose to a vinyl finish of the straight black. They are similar, but the LE version has a different depth to it, and a slightly softer finish.

D'oh! I have the European version!

And of course, now am I happy with my cute black nails? No. No, I am not.

I want nails that have a small amount of platinum shimmer, just enough to give the look of satin. Do my nails have that? No, they do not. My nails look cute, but they do not look like satin.

What's that you say? A slave to fashion? Why yes, it seems that I am.

Now, off to track down the good kind of Black Satin nail polish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing this happens to you only once in awhile.

This happens to me all the time. I get all these expensive things I pay for that just not worth the money. And try to resell it back on ebay.